60th Annual Prague Kolache Festival


Every year on the first Saturday in May a Kolache Festival is held in a small east central town in Oklahoma. 


Prague (pronounced like Craig), Oklahoma is a small town in Oklahoma founded as a result of the land run of 1891. Eva Barta owned the land and named it after the city of Prague after a city in the Czech Republic, her homeland. Prague has a population of just over 2,300 people. 


The Kolaches, which are the focus of this festival, are a semi-sweet pastry which has a dollop of fruit as a filling. Over time the pastry has evolved and now takes on different flavors depending on the region where the Kolache is made.


I must admit I was disappointed the first time I tried Kolache because they were not as sweet as I expected, however I soon discovered they are amazing with a nice hot cup of coffee. However, today I did not eat any Kolaches. Ironic, eh?


The festival brings folks from all over and the small town swells each year. Parking is plentiful, but a walk, so volunteers drive attendees from parking to the festival area in golf carts. However, there is plenty of walking around at the festival itself, so bring comfortable shoes and sunscreen. An umbrella may come in handy, just in case as thunder storms and rain are common in Oklahoma in May. 


The carnival portion of the festival is very popular with the kids. Bring some patience as lines can be long. 


Entertainment is not lacking at this festival. The local elementary school has a program for teaching children traditional Czech dances. Children meet weekly to prepare and practice for the performances. Local bands play at the grandstand and we got a chance to see some local talent show winners perform. 


Seeing the children in the traditional clothing keeping the dances of their culture alive never gets old. The colorful traditional folk clothing all had a similar structure, but each is a unique riot of color with assorted embroidery, trims, and laces.




 I love looking at the girls who really seem to enjoy wearing the dresses. Boys are not left out. This year we saw several boys dressed in tradition Czech clothing as well. 



One of the best parts of festivals in Oklahoma is the food. Bring some money if you intend to eat as prices can be a bit high at festivals.I cannot attend the Kolache Festival without getting myself a smoked turkey leg. My partner in crime this day was my friend, Monica, and she got the largest corn dog I have ever seen! The smoke turkey leg was $10 and the Foot-long corn dog was $5. 



There were many, many food choices, but lines were long and we were only willing to commit to waiting in one line since it took close to 45 minutes before we could order. Yes, my smoked turkey leg was worth every minute I stood in line. 


There is a beer garden as well where ice cold beer awaits. Of course Kolaches are available for purchase, so I picked up a few to enjoy with hot coffee later. 

All-in-all the Kolache Festival is a great way to spend the first Saturday in May. Maybe you should join me next year? 













Comments